Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
I say, I say, I say,

Did you here the one about a man who in the very early day's of learning about making Biodiesel

Made up his first 250ml of Methoxide in a PLASTIC coke bottle whilst dressed in only a T shirt and Boxer Shorts??

Well let me tell you that when the bottle exploded spraying said man and room in hot methoxide,

He was in the shower and jumping about in the freezing water washing off the said chemicals faster than a fast thing going really fast.:o

Now I don't require anyone coming on here and telling me how stupid I was, cos I already know.

I was just over eager to start my journey and skip read the instructions that I was following.

I even contemplated not mentioning this episode as stated by another learned colleague on this fine forum.

But I do think that it is a good idea to \"fess\" up to any mistakes to help others into not making the same mistakes.

Works in Industry and Air Crashes et al, so should work for us homebrewers. :o:o

Oh and almost forgot for the noobs reading....

DO NOT USE PLASTIC POP BOTTLES FOR MIXING CAUSTIC SODA AND METHANOL Wink

I ended up using a Glass bottle with a screw top cap for the early experiments.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by 100percentbiobmw]
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
Ooh, could have been very nasty!

Mike
04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
I would say safety glasses are a must it takes very little to blind you, you have been very lucky and should be a lesson to us all
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
used a blender to mix up Methoxide once. I knew it wouldn\'t last long but after just one small batch it was brittle. Filled it with water and turned it on to see if it would fall apart. It did.
Palastic is not good with Methanol. Check you\'re using HDPE.
04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
Quote:Originally posted by JIM.M
I would say safety glasses are a must it takes very little to blind you, you have been very lucky and should be a lesson to us all

With you 100% on this Jim.... If you do nothing else, be sure to use safety specs, goggles or other form of eye protection..... As we\'ve seen in this thread, caustic anywhere on your skin is potentially going to cause damage.... it\'ll be painful but it will heal. However, get caustic in your eye and it can blind you. The eye is naturally moist and as we know, caustic dissolves readily in water, liberating heat in the process. This all happens in a second so, even if you have taken the sensible precaution of having a supply of clean fresh water at hand, you could still suffer serious damage..... Also worth repeating here - vinegar, or any other acid in NOT an antidote for caustic burns.

Play safely......

Nick

This week I 'ave been mainly running on recycled dinosaurs.
Peugeot 2008 Crossover 1.6 HDi Blue
Peugeot 206 SW 1.4HDi
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
Quote:Originally posted by 100percentbiobmw
[size=4][font=Comic Sans MS]
DO NOT USE PLASTIC POP BOTTLES FOR MIXING CAUSTIC SODA AND METHANOL Wink

I ended up using a Glass bottle with a screw top cap for the early experiments.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by 100percentbiobmw]

Be very careful with glass especially if you stopper it. Making methoxide generates heat which will generate pressure in a a sealed bottle (as it did with your coke bottle) if the glass bottle explodes you have the added exposure to flying sharp fragments of glass.

You would be better off with LDPE than glass, but as already suggested, HDPE would be better still.

Paul
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
How NOT to Mix Methoxide
Or if using lab glassware when mixing with an exothermic reaction, you put the glass stopper through the lab\'s double glazed window, as I recall happened to another student in my A-level chemistry class. Wink

Biodiesel car history over 100k:
Merc ML270 (CR), Saab 95 2.2TID (VP44), Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 JTDm (CR), Volvo V40 Sport Lux (CR), VW Passat (PD130), 2x Nissan Largos 2.0ETi (VP37), Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TDI (Bosch VE)
Biodiesel wiki & forum - Used cooking oil collection Southampton
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user