Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Caustic burns
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Caustic burns
Hmmmm. dont really know if showing the downside of stupity is a good idea, as there are as said, examples of health and safety already, but I have a photo of my foot after caustic went down my boot....

[Image: ring005.jpg]

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by paddygoat]

Retired vehicle builder/painter/engineer/GRP.  All posts are just my own views and not instructions. e3msb[steve] 98 Range Rover DSE P38 Auto on Veg/bio. 93 Golf 1.9tdi/veg. Gulf stream RV,cummins 5.9Turbo.bio. Aixam micro car/veg. Smalley lister vintage digger/veg/ Austin A35 van/petrol. home heating veg/oil. Petter genny veg/bio.

Holmfirth. West Yorkshire.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Caustic burns
Quote:Originally posted by e3msb

[Image: ring005.jpg]

Those toe mails need sorting Steve..Wink

.. and the carpet is a belter as well.....:P

Nasty burn that though - bet that stung a bit.

FORD RANGER 2000 73k Not one of my better buys - Hilarious
LEYLAND ROADRUNNER WITH A CARAVAN ON THE BACK - YES REALLY....
FORD TRANSIT LWB / ExHiRoof
1996 119k Camperised - DEAD
FORD TRANSIT BUS/ Flying Loaf Tin 1994 60k Camper Project

Ex-Vehicles
Mercedes C250, Cherokee, Pajero 2.8, Peugeot 405, 106, 205, Citroen Xantia, ZX etc

LOCATION - WEST YORKSHIRE & All Over the Place
03-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Caustic burns
Eeuuuuw, put me of my toasted current teacake. :o
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Caustic burns
Quote:Originally posted by e3msb
Hmmmm. dont really know if showing the downside of stupity is a good idea, as there are as said, examples of health and safety already, but I have a photo of my foot after caustic went down my boot....
So this was dry caustic granules falling down between boot and foot? What steps (scuse the pun) have you taken to avoid it ever again? I thinks the photo is enough to make us all very careful.

However horse riding or motorcycling is rather more dangerous methinks. Sad
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Caustic burns
Quote:Originally posted by petep900
Thing is Mark, There is already a thread on this matter Health & Safety Thread in Biodiesel Section..and it is pegged. No need for this thread in the General Section as I see it.
Well said, petep900, but I guess I couldn\'t find it. Or, is that my point?

Thanks for the photo e3msb, nasty burn, but I am not surprised. Maybe we should have a thread on caustic burns under Health & Safety?

The point is, talking about Health & Safety gets people mindful that the bio-diesel process is hazardous and all precautions should be taken.
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Caustic burns
reminds me of oxy- acetylene cutting, you soon learn to put your trousers over the boots
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Caustic burns
I heard of someone who worked in a brewery, cleaning out the tanks/pipework with caustic and felt some burning inside his glove but was too busy to take it off. Half an hour later, when he did pull his glove off, two of his fingers stayed inside the glove Sad.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by paddygoat]

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Caustic burns
Short and sweet
i worked with caustic for over 20 years had it in my eye once and nealy lost sight
best advice i can give is viniger i started carying a bottle of it round with me and if i got any on me that was burning id put a few drops of viniger on and then wash of it would invaribly stop burning
the bigest problem is caustic would get in a small cut ecyt then start burning days later but the vinihger trick would stop this
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Caustic burns
This is a snipet from an old post regarding vinegar and caustic burns.

Quote:Dear Dr. Demling

I would like to ask your advice on the matter of lye burn treatment. I am trying
to establish a safe working protocol for users of NaOH and KOH

I notice in your page http://www.burnsurgery.org/Modules/initi.../sec_6.htm
in section B, para 7, it is stated ..

\\"- do not attempt to neutralize acids with alkali or vice versa, just use
copious water \\"

I am meeting with repeated resistance to this, by folks who understandably feel that vinegar is a valid treatment regimen.

As this goes against your good advice, and indeed the advice on all MSDS I can
find, I wonder if you would be able to help me by explaining the key reasons
for advising against neutralizing, as the question is always \\"But why can\'t we use vinegar?\\"

I can guess at the reasoning, but would greatly appreciate your experienced guidance on this.

Many thanks, in anticipation of your help.

Graham Laming
Shefford, UK

----------------------------------------------

Graham

The most important treatment is to flood the area with copious water to flush the alkali away not to try and neutralize.

Alkali are hard to remove and very hard to neutralize with a weak acid unless you have gallons upon gallons of vinegar

Copious flushing is needed for 20-30 min to be able to remove from skin as it soon is thru the upper layer of skin and needs flushing not futile attempts at neutralization which will only affect the most superficial collection of alkali

As far as eye irrigation vinegar is toxic to the eye especially a damaged eye

Bob

About the Author of this reply

Full thread >>LINK<<

Location, Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
Scudo 2.0 JTD 2006
Pug 106 zest
Landrover discovery 300 Tdi auto
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/hifly
http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Caustic burns
If you use an acid as strong as the base you\'re trying to neutalise you\'ll cause just as severe acid burns. If you use a weak acid like Vinegar it\'ll take loads because weak acids don\'t release all their hydrogen ions (making for a low pH).
It\'s quicker to run it under a tap/jump in a shower. 10L of water can wash over a burn in a fraction of the time a small amount of vinegar can. That said. If you carry the vinegar round with you, pour it on, and then go straight to a tap it\'ll be better than nothing.