Oops - Kaboom!!!
13-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Steve - what sort of switch do you use?

Mike
Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
I\'m not sure, given the seriousness and repeated nature of this incident, if a level/pressure switch is enough. What if the switch goes wrong? My \'mega safe\' design has a completely separate heating tank with, by the way, a level switch. Let the debate continue!

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Cripes! Would be very interested to see what that did to the top (bottom) of the cylinder.

Biodiesel car history over 100k:
Merc ML270 (CR), Saab 95 2.2TID (VP44), Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 JTDm (CR), Volvo V40 Sport Lux (CR), VW Passat (PD130), 2x Nissan Largos 2.0ETi (VP37), Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TDI (Bosch VE)
Biodiesel wiki & forum - Used cooking oil collection Southampton
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
My heater is interlocked with the pump - you cant switch it on unless the pump is running and the level is high enough.

2005 Kia Sorento XS 2.5CRDi - B100
2006 Kia Sorento XS 2.5CRDi - B100
2006 VW Beetle Cabriolet 1.9Tdi PD105 - B100
Two stage no titration process - water heated - mist washing
veg collections - http://www.cornwallusedcookingoil.co.uk
Miracle bead jewellery - http://www.beadazzlingmaid.co.uk
14-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
I have tried not to post on this thread because of the stick I had the last time I criticizes someone for putting a venturi in without testing it I know that you are not supposed to critasize people on here for doing stupid things but this is beyond anything that has gone before, ANYONE who puts an immersion heater on a timer in a processor is a moron, someone said get a 7 day timer that just puts of the evil day, he had 12 or 24 hours to correct his mistake but didn\'t.
His next mistake was leaving the drain valve open, this is what caused the explosion, if it had been closed as the heater warmed up the air in the processor would have expanded and escaped through the vent pipe so leaving not enough oxygen for the methes vapour to ignite and the heater would have burned out and blown the fuse, but with the valve being open as the warm air escaped it pulled cold air in from the bottom with 20% oxygen in it so that when the heater got to ignition temperature THE BIG BANG. I know people are going quote instances of methes vapour igniting with a spark from an electrical spark either from a switch or a drill, but my answer to that is they happened in the open and not inside the processor.

If you ever build another processor I hope you make it foolproof, because if you dont some fool will blow it up and the house and garage looks to nice to end up as a pile of rubble
14-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Not had a chance to check yet (kids, Xmas shopping Sad ) BUT from the look of the pipe from the top vent to the condensor, it\'s slipped through it\'s olive... The 15mm tank connector I fitted to the top of the processor was compression, but I chose to solder the fitting into the tank after fitting, as I had my burner in my hand at the time lol.. The hard foam insultion seems to have kept the rest of the tank in perfect shape, so hopefully it\'ll just need a new heater (must have gone short internally as it blew fuse and tripped the RCD... Which is a shame as that heater is only a month or so old....

Will prob be useable again, but I do intend to go to a 205L size processor, and one of James\' external heaters, as I want to double my batch size so I can half the time I spend in the garage....

Will post photos once examined - prob later today...

Mike
14-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
If anyone would like to try out a pressure-switch, I have a couple in stock, and at only 15 quid, could save you from disaster....

Send me U2U if you need one...

I\'ll post a topic on how to fit one to an existing processor/new-build, when I grab all the details of pipe sizes/positions/measurements from my data at work. This will give a good starting-point for those looking at fitting one....

BUT like Everything else, Its Only a Safeguard.....Wink

Good processor design and use is the key factor. IF you can get the immersion element Out of the processor/loop all together, (I dont mean remotely mounted, as these could still create the right conditions for explosion in the right circumstances....),-- this will be better.--But this isnt always possible....

Swansea Used Cooking Oil Collection

G.L. type 180Litre Processor, WBD, settle, filter and enjoy!

DONT BELIEVE THE CLIMATE-CHANGE and CO2 LIES -JUST A WAY TO TAX YOU EXTRA, AND PASS EVER MORE CONTROLLING LAWS ON YOUR LIVES!

--Courtesy --Unelected E.U. DICTATORSHIP

[b] "The 21st Century is when it all changes....
--And you've got to be ready...."

[Image: OBK24B-AM.jpg]

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Make sure your tinfoil hat has a good connection to ground. Laugh
14-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Take every reasonable safety precaution by having a separate heater tank and a level/pressure switch on that tank. If using the pressure switch, you\'ll need a 3 legged tank as 4 legs will give errors due to unequal loads on each leg Smile.

We make up our own minds what is \'reasonable\'. If you think that reasonable means that the processor must be kept cheap, then think what the judge might think about that when you\'re up before the bench trying to defend a charge of manslaughter Sad.

14-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Quote:Originally posted by paddygoat If using the pressure switch, you\'ll need a 3 legged tank as 4 legs will give errors due to unequal loads on each leg Smile.

Sad.

???

The number of legs the tank has has little relevance to a Pressure-Level sensor/switch...!!

It doesn\'t sense the level by weight of the tank, or some other primitive means!Wink

It works on Pressure.....Big Grin

Swansea Used Cooking Oil Collection

G.L. type 180Litre Processor, WBD, settle, filter and enjoy!

DONT BELIEVE THE CLIMATE-CHANGE and CO2 LIES -JUST A WAY TO TAX YOU EXTRA, AND PASS EVER MORE CONTROLLING LAWS ON YOUR LIVES!

--Courtesy --Unelected E.U. DICTATORSHIP

[b] "The 21st Century is when it all changes....
--And you've got to be ready...."

[Image: OBK24B-AM.jpg]

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Make sure your tinfoil hat has a good connection to ground. Laugh
14-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Oops - Kaboom!!!
Not a pressure pad under one of the feet then? :o What is the minimum oil level required to get it to switch over?