Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
methanol vapours explode
04-12-2008, 08:30 PM
methanol vapours explode
I don\'t think there is any harm in the element being in the reactor so long as it\'s one of the short folded designs and you ensure that the fluid level is way above it before each stage of the reaction that involves heating (by opening the valve on the sight gauge with the pump off before proceeding).

Certainly the OP doesn\'t seem to know how long the element is, which has to be one of the very first things to check if you\'re using a HW cylinder (otherwise you have no idea what the minimum fill level is).

Biodiesel car history over 100k:
Merc ML270 (CR), Saab 95 2.2TID (VP44), Fiat Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 JTDm (CR), Volvo V40 Sport Lux (CR), VW Passat (PD130), 2x Nissan Largos 2.0ETi (VP37), Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TDI (Bosch VE)
Biodiesel wiki & forum - Used cooking oil collection Southampton
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
methanol vapours explode
I use only clip top drums, but dont clip them while processing. A good weight of about 10 kgs will seal the top for fumes, but if anything nasty should happen, then the top just blows off. I saw a clip top a while back that had been clipped, and done the business and it was a sight I wont forget, and it blew apart the shed round it....guy had just a few injuries luckily.

Retired vehicle builder/painter/engineer/GRP.  All posts are just my own views and not instructions. e3msb[steve] 98 Range Rover DSE P38 Auto on Veg/bio. 93 Golf 1.9tdi/veg. Gulf stream RV,cummins 5.9Turbo.bio. Aixam micro car/veg. Smalley lister vintage digger/veg/ Austin A35 van/petrol. home heating veg/oil. Petter genny veg/bio.

Holmfirth. West Yorkshire.
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
methanol vapours explode
Quote:Originally posted by e3msb
I use only clip top drums, but dont clip them while processing. A good weight of about 10 kgs will seal the top for fumes, but if anything nasty should happen, then the top just blows off. I saw a clip top a while back that had been clipped, and done the business and it was a sight I wont forget, and it blew apart the shed round it....guy had just a few injuries luckily.

Good Idea that one Steve - May now go for a clip top on my supersized processor replacement! Smile

Mike
03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
methanol vapours explode
Steve

I was thinking of using the clip on my processor to secure the lid.

I won\'t bother, having just read your post. - Thanks

Will just stick a weight ontop instead.

Mark

Location - Leeds, West Yorkshire

1998 Saxo/Pug 106 1.5D B100 Lucas/Bosch pumps -B100 - Sold
2001 Peugeot 206 1.9D (Bosch) - B100/SVO
2005 Volvo XC90 D5 on B100
1961 Landrover series 2 - 300TDI B100 and SVO/WVO - Sold
1997 Landrover Defender 90 - 300TDI biodiesel and SVO.

2 stage KOH Tit'less reaction/5% pre-wash/demeth/settle
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
methanol vapours explode
where is the vent, I cant see one nor where a vent would go, it should be in the very top of the tank, it hasn\'t blown out or you would see where it had come from
this picture was put up as an example of what can happen when we were discussing the explosion just before Xmas and I asked the same question then
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
methanol vapours explode
Wont that create a 10KG missile which will launch upward and return to earth just as quickly?
04-01-2009, 07:31 AM
methanol vapours explode
WHERE IS THE VENT
04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
methanol vapours explode
You\'d need a very large vent to release an explosion.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
methanol vapours explode
Quote:Originally posted by Frisp
Wont that create a 10KG missile which will launch upward and return to earth just as quickly?

Not at all, chances are the lid would jump up 1/2\" and drop back down, in effect all Steve is doing is creating a very crude relief valve set at a pressure equivalent to 10kg across the surface area of a clip top drum lid.
04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
methanol vapours explode
Quote:Originally posted by paddygoat
You\'d need a very large vent to release an explosion.
Hi paddygoat, actually at Chevron Research the practice was to install 2\" bursting disks on the top of each research vessel, which vented straight up through the ceiling with no elbows in the 2\" vent-line. And, those chambers were about 55 gallons in capacity.

While we never had an explosion while I was there, if the engineers felt a 2\" bursting disk would release the pressure enough in a 55 gallon (120L) chamber, then it probably was, and it was most probably tested. However, we were not using oil drums with clamped on lids. Our chambers looked about like yours, maybe made with 1/16th welded Stainless Steel instead of mild steel, or whatever you are using.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by jhanananda]