Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Too much heat in the IP?
15-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
I\'ve been running my twin-tank system for a couple of months/couple of thousand miles so far without any apparent problems. But (and there\'s always a but)...

What now concerns me is that I may be putting too much heat into the IP. I have two heat exchangers: one HiH just before the (normally unheated) fuel filter whose purpose is to warm up the veg enough to flow through the filter easily, and an FPHE after the filter and before the 3-way valves and IP.

When the car has been running for several miles, the top of the IP is pretty much too hot to touch, which may be good for the veg viscosity, but potentially bad for the IP itself? AFAIK, I have a Bosch VP37 (or Jap version thereof), as it looks more or less the same as that shown on HC II\'s web page with a fly-by-wire control on the back vertical face of the IP.

Having read HC II\'s post of a while ago:
Quote:Originally posted by High Compression II
Nah, The low-blow GM has a VP37 \'Type\'.........

That G-M version has the FPCM as part of the top cover on the pump, (FCPM = Fuel Pump Control Module) --but is mechanically similar to the EP-VE Mechanical.

Figure on scrapping the car if that FPCM fails, (Which it Will, as they all do!)--as its 800 quid IF you can get one!

The pump however when working will be fine on veggy. although I would NOT use a Heat-Exchanger to add heat on any engine using This type of FPCM as the internals of that device are apparently damaged by heat-You wouldnt believe just how much technology is in that FPCM, There\'s a Microprocessor, Memory, various other chips and MOSFETS for the actuator drives...:o
I\'m now concerned that it may be getting too hot for its own good. The question is, what\'s a sensible temperature to run this pump at (\'scuse grammer)? Does it need some heat to warm up the veg, but not enough to fry the electrics? Also, I wonder what temperature it would attain if there were no H/Es.

Primera 2.0TD 2001, single-tank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
Depends on whether your pump is the VP29, VP37 or VP44....

Dioes it have a FPCM as part of the top-cover Like a VP-44...?

Swansea Used Cooking Oil Collection

G.L. type 180Litre Processor, WBD, settle, filter and enjoy!

DONT BELIEVE THE CLIMATE-CHANGE and CO2 LIES -JUST A WAY TO TAX YOU EXTRA, AND PASS EVER MORE CONTROLLING LAWS ON YOUR LIVES!

--Courtesy --Unelected E.U. DICTATORSHIP

[b] "The 21st Century is when it all changes....
--And you've got to be ready...."

[Image: OBK24B-AM.jpg]

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Make sure your tinfoil hat has a good connection to ground. Laugh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
Hi HC, it looks like this:
[Image: DSCF3194mod.jpg]

15-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
Nah, No \'electronics\' in there, Just S.M. pots, resistors, actuator and temp-sensor...

VP44 has whole \'computer\' in the top cover!

Swansea Used Cooking Oil Collection

G.L. type 180Litre Processor, WBD, settle, filter and enjoy!

DONT BELIEVE THE CLIMATE-CHANGE and CO2 LIES -JUST A WAY TO TAX YOU EXTRA, AND PASS EVER MORE CONTROLLING LAWS ON YOUR LIVES!

--Courtesy --Unelected E.U. DICTATORSHIP

[b] "The 21st Century is when it all changes....
--And you've got to be ready...."

[Image: OBK24B-AM.jpg]

[Image: 300TDnoplate.jpg]

Make sure your tinfoil hat has a good connection to ground. Laugh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
So nothing too temperature-sensitive in the fly-by-wirey-bits which you can just about not see Big Grin on the North side of the IP in the photo?

Another potentially silly question: what if I have - for some reason - to run on diesel in the main tank, rather than veg: this will still run through the H/Es and get hot. While the hot temps may be OK for veg, will there be any potential IP problems heating diesel up this much? Does it lose lubrication properties, perhaps.

Thanks,
Ashley

15-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
IPs often get to 80/85c which is getting near the boiling point of water, or what I mean is....damned hot to the touch

Retired vehicle builder/painter/engineer/GRP.  All posts are just my own views and not instructions. e3msb[steve] 98 Range Rover DSE P38 Auto on Veg/bio. 93 Golf 1.9tdi/veg. Gulf stream RV,cummins 5.9Turbo.bio. Aixam micro car/veg. Smalley lister vintage digger/veg/ Austin A35 van/petrol. home heating veg/oil. Petter genny veg/bio.

Holmfirth. West Yorkshire.
16-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
So you don\'t think that it could be too hot for straight diesel?

16-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
Nope, hot diesel doesn\'t do any damage, common rail pumps make the Diesel VERY hot, so hot they have to cool it before sending it back to the plastic fuel tank.....

When i ran straight diesel through my FPHE for a short while I saw a massive increase in economy... I would say another 5-8mpg....

1993 Daihatsu Fourtrak 2.8 Indirect Injection Turbo'd, Intercooled, Tweeked and Twin Tanked.

Now Selling "On Vehicle" fuel filters for Diesel, Bio diesel or Vegetable oil Conversions, Cheap, Easy to fit and VERY effective.
eBay Store
16-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Too much heat in the IP?
Thanks folks, for putting my mind at rest.