Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fuel starvation
09-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Fuel starvation
[font=Arial]After several months of suffering fuel starvation intermittent power loss and limp mode in my Hiace camper van (1kzte 3ltr) I think fingers crossed we have finally won. I was using a blend of 80/10/10 when problems started it had run ok for some 10,000 miles, thinking it was a result of my wvo blend I reverted back to diesel no difference even after flushing the system. So I started at the tank, took it of and cleaned 24 years of gunk out the in tank strainer was filthy, I omitted it and fitted an inline one. Still the problem persisted I also fitted a FPHE and an electric lift pump before the normal fuel filter still no difference so on advice from jw2cv I bit the bullet
and pulled the filters in the IP pump not an easy job on a Hiace van THE PRIMARY ONE BEHIND THE TEMP SENSOR WAS 75% BLOCKED THE ONE UNDER THE FUEL METERING VALVE WAS 25% BLOCKED the other one under the return banjo is not a filter but a pressure relieve I cleaned any way . So far after 2 good test runs no more loss of power and limp mode. Thanks again to jw2cv the forum and the very informative vid on You Tube.

Hiace super custom camper 3ltr
Universal 640 DT
Lister genset
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2020, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2020 06:02 PM by gtabomber.)
RE: Fuel starvation
My Hilux Surf / 4Runner has the same engine. Im dreading having to do this eventually! I recon mine has a bit blockage as theres no "go" higher up the revs. It also likes to hunt and stall once the glow plug timer clicks off on a cold start.

Glad you got yours sorted Smile

I ran a 13mm fuel hose from the tank on mine. Made a noticeable difference. Might be worth while on yours.

- Toyota 4Runner 3.0TD on WVO
- VW T4 2.4D on WVO
- Mercedes C250TD on WVO - Sold
- Mk3 Golf TDI on WVO
- Eunos Roadster with a turbo plopped on
10-02-2020, 07:38 PM
RE: Fuel starvation
I think I have jumped the gun its back where it was Limp mode and white smoke, air in return pipe runs perfect on tick over, will try a gravity feed direct IP tomorrow using diesel. Not looking forward to removing the IP for refurbish if seals have gone .

Hiace super custom camper 3ltr
Universal 640 DT
Lister genset