Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where is my engine number
04-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Where is my engine number
After having clutch trouble and asking/ getting advice on here, my clutch needs replacing.
Had to put this off for a month after my daughter made me a grandparent and time has flown by.
Anyway, should be easy fix, but the OM605.960 engine/gearbox are from a 1996 C Class. The car is a 1973 Merc SLC.
Small independent has quoted me £900 and a Mr Clutch wont touch it unless I can get the donor car number plate, the VIN number or engine number.

2 questions
First:- where is the engine number on a OM605? I can't see it anywhere.
Second:- how easy is it to change the clutch? I'm no mechanic but not stupid (IMO) either

Thanks as always

1973 Merc slc with 1996 om605. WVO 3x200litre settling barrels, 2%petrol, 5 micron and 1 micron filtered. EGR has gone & super cheap WI system yippee. Just needs timing advanced, fphe installed(maybe) and a few wee tweeks Smile
http://www.medwaywasteoil.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2020, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2020 11:21 PM by glycer-rides.)
RE: Where is my engine number
1. I'll have a look at my 605 on Thurs and let you know.
Alternatively, a member with a rare manual could PM you their engine number from the V5C. Terry...?

2. The physical elements are the issue. Weight. Being not young.
You really need a car lift and a transmission jack. The exhaust and prop will be in the way, so need to be moved.
DIY, you could save about £600. If you are no mechanic, then it's probably not the place to start.

The last clutch I changed 25 years back, I had to do twice. Lack of attention on a simple task; I messed up the release bearing carrier to fork interface ... and it jammed.

'83 Mercedes S123 240Td.
'98 Mercedes S202 C250Td.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Open the hood of your Mercedes. Locate the stamped engine ID number on the top or side of the engine block, towards the rear of the engine.

54 plate Passat (AWX)..PD..B100
09 plate Polo TDI (BNM)..PD..B100
Mercedes Benz 230SLK (PPPPPPPetrol) SOLD
W plate Golf SDI........B100 (sold)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI...SOLD
VW Passat (AFN)....SOLD
06-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Didn't have a chance to look at mine.
Looks like it's just in front of the IP, could be hard to see.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...les-2.html

'83 Mercedes S123 240Td.
'98 Mercedes S202 C250Td.