Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water Injection - advice please
02-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Water Injection - advice please
I have a Ssangyoung korando 2.9D. I think this uses the OM602 Mercedes Engine. I have run this vehicle on vegetable oil for about 8 years, but have noticed a massive decrease in power over the years. It now struggles to do 70mph on the motorway and is only a little quicker than a fully loaded artic!

I have tried a purge running it just on diesel for a few months, but it makes no different. I have also tried various additives / fuel mixes, but these have made no difference. I change filters regularly and have also pulled the injectors out and fully cleaned these (including full disassembly). One time I also had them professionally cleaned. But none of this has made any difference. On another forum, someone suggested this could be gumming and suggested I explore water injection. With this in mind I am seriously thinking about trying water injection and have read a few threads on here.

I have seen various kits for sale, but they seem very expensive for what they are. I have a seen another user, using this 12v pump off ebay for about £8:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264505944812?...noapp=true

I could use this with a cheap tank for less than £10. I was thinking of just doing this and having a manual switch in the car that I just flick when I am up to temperature / revs. Really not bothered about anything automatic. What I don't want to do is to start drilling / tapping into the inlet manifold. So with this in mind, I note that I have a breather at the top of the engine, which passes oil vapour back through the manifold to get burnt on the combustion cycle of the engine (see photo below). As this piping goes to all 5 cylinders anyway, why not just make use of this for water injection? I can then vent the engine vapour to a separate catch pot. Or just have the engine vapour vent to the air (like the gerbox / alxles do) I know without a catch pot, this would not be strictly legal, but my local MOT test centre is very lax on these things.

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

Alternatively, maybe I could just insert a pipe from the water injection pump into the normal air intake on the car, as shown by the arrow below. Or would this be too much of a distance and result in a lot of condensation and possible hydrostatic damage?

[Image: 3.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2020, 03:22 PM
RE: Water Injection - advice please
Welcome.
That pipe looks a perfect fit for a wallpaper steamer hose.
If that's a new one to you, have a search here.

'83 Mercedes S123 240Td.
'98 Mercedes S202 C250Td.
02-02-2020, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2020 07:15 PM by Adam32.)
(02-02-2020 03:22 PM)glycer-rides Wrote:  Welcome.
That pipe looks a perfect fit for a wallpaper steamer hose.
If that's a new one to you, have a search here.

Thanks for your reply. I have read a few threads on people using wallpaper steamers. Although, that would not be a solution for using it on the road.

If deciding to try the wallpaper steamer option, is there any consensus on the best wallpaper steamer to go for and the type of nozzle on the steamer to use?
02-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Get some steam in there. It certainly sounds like ring gumming. Have a look on the biopowered wiki for some ideas. Plenty of ways to get atomised water into the inlet manifold.

54 plate Passat (AWX)..PD..B100
09 plate Polo TDI (BNM)..PD..B100
Mercedes Benz 230SLK (PPPPPPPetrol) SOLD
W plate Golf SDI........B100 (sold)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI...SOLD
VW Passat (AFN)....SOLD
03-02-2020, 08:50 AM
If deciding to try the wallpaper steamer option, is there any consensus on the best wallpaper steamer to go for and the type of nozzle on the steamer to use?
[/quote]

whatever is available as long as it produces steam

2004 Skoda Octavia L & K estate 100% wvo
Yamaha xt225 serow
yamaha tdm 850
Yamaha xv1100 (Sold)
Triumph tiger 955i(Sold)
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel 15000 miles and counting B100 (SOLD)
aprilia atlantic 500cc scoot(what a hoot scoot)SOLD
1999 BMW E39 530d 202,000 miles 25000 on b100(sold)
1988 Mercedes 300D no mods 253,000 miles 33,000 miles 100% wvo
summer b100 for the winter (SOLD)
location Nr Glasgow
03-02-2020, 01:44 PM
(03-02-2020 08:50 AM)madmopedracer Wrote:  whatever is available as long as it produces steam

But there are big differences between different wallpaper strippers, as this site says:

"So a unit with a 6L capacity won’t necessarily last longer than one with a 3L tank which gives out basic levels of steam."
https://appliancereviewer.co.uk/best-wal...strippers/

So they do produce different levels of steam depending on the stripper. It's not just about capacity of tank.

I will be buying this stripper just for this job, so want to make sure I buy the best thing possible. What stripper have been had the best results with?
03-02-2020, 02:21 PM
I don't think anyone has done a comparison all i believe just use what they have or can borrow .
certainly if you want the best buy the one with the most steam

2004 Skoda Octavia L & K estate 100% wvo
Yamaha xt225 serow
yamaha tdm 850
Yamaha xv1100 (Sold)
Triumph tiger 955i(Sold)
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel 15000 miles and counting B100 (SOLD)
aprilia atlantic 500cc scoot(what a hoot scoot)SOLD
1999 BMW E39 530d 202,000 miles 25000 on b100(sold)
1988 Mercedes 300D no mods 253,000 miles 33,000 miles 100% wvo
summer b100 for the winter (SOLD)
location Nr Glasgow
05-02-2020, 01:57 PM
no turbo so you save yourself a lot of problems there...

I think the only way you'll get even flow to all cylinders is feeding the water in at the front intake.... not much point going hot there because it'll hit your air filter and cool with the air flow over it

get a used (big) windscreen squinter bottle+pump... use use that as your tank and pump

just needs a mister nozel on the end of the hose to give a fine mist :-)
05-02-2020, 06:33 PM
(05-02-2020 01:57 PM)knighty Wrote:  I think the only way you'll get even flow to all cylinders is feeding the water in at the front intake.

But the air intake is a long way from where the air enters the engine. Won't this just cause condensation and increase the risk of damage to the engine? Also won't the air filter increase the change of condensation and end up getting soaking wet?

What about trying to put some nozzels in the airbox itself, after the filter? Here is a picture of the inside of my airbox:

[Image: 3.jpg]

Secondly, I do like the idea of using using a windscreen squinter bottle+pump. I can get one form the scrappers very cheap. What "mister nozzle" would you use with this setup - do you have a link to something suitable to buy?

My only concern with going the windscreen washer route, is whether the pump would be able to generate enough pressure for optimum performance? I read some of the dedicated pumps produce well over 150psi. Can't imagine you would get anything like this from a windscreen washer pump? But I could be wrong and if something cheap like this works I would be very happy.
05-02-2020, 10:53 PM
Just get the steamer and split the steam pipe into two outlet pipes and then just place them at base of air box under two inlets at a time and leave engine just ticking over and take in whatever it wants .
Because inlet manifold pipes are at top of air box there will not be an issue with water pooling anywhere.
If you only have one of those hand held kitchen type steamer cleaners then just do one inlet at a time.
I would use a large steamer on my 606 engined Merc with excellent results and the first few times I did it I would change engine oil after it but eventually realised there was no need for it.
First few times I also used about 2-2500 revs but just used normal tick over speed after that as the constant noise of engine revving is annoying.
About six litres of water steamed through is more than enough and you will notice a huge difference in engine afterwards.