Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LED GU10 Downlighter bulbs
13-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I have just bought some GU10 LED bulbs to replace the Megaman Cold Cathode bulbs I did have in my kitchen.

A few years ago I tried some LED bulbs and found them to be rubbish but now, with the modern SMD LED chips I thought I\'d give them a go

I can honestly say I am really impressed with them. They really are extremely bright, brighter than the cold cathode ones I had and pretty much the same as a 50W halogen. The light is a really pure white too, not with a blue hint to it.

I bought four 7Watt, 48 LED bulbs and was so impressed I have just bought some more.

If anybody is looking to replace halogens with LEDs I would seriously recommend these
eBay link here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111189181257?v...1497.l2649

(you may need to select the relevant item from the lists)
I have nothing to do with the seller, just offering personal experience if anyone is looking for a suitable bulb.

They have built in electronics too so just fit straight into a 240V GU10 downlighter

1997 RangeRover P38 2.5DSE 160K Miles -B100
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.5 V6Tdi 140k Miles - B100
Two stage no titration process - in-processor acid wash
Heating system on Palm based B100
Lister 6/1 generator on B100
Wood burner on glycerol logs.

http://www.cornwallusedcookingoil.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2013, 10:23 PM
yes, the modern leds are good, I fit a lot of sealed units as most come with a 10 year guarantee and are as bright as a 50w halogen

Location, Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
www.tradegreetingcards.com Personalised Christmas cards for Electricians, plumbers, mechanics etc.
Transit 2.5Di Bannana.
Pug 106 zest
Landrover discovery 300 Tdi auto
www.wastevegetableoildevizes.com
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page
www.electric-works.co.uk devizes electrician
13-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Just heads up for people, I do not know about these exact ones, but I have ran projects on LED bulbs. Testing them in accredited test houses against the safety standards. There really is a lot of dangerous ones out there, and they do look visually ok. I personally now would only buy from reputable retailers.
Find all posts by this user
13-11-2013, 10:53 PM
[rquote=436959&tid=38745&author=cyber_killer]Just heads up for people, I do not know about these exact ones, but I have ran projects on LED bulbs. Testing them in accredited test houses against the safety standards. There really is a lot of dangerous ones out there, and they do look visually ok. I personally now would only buy from reputable retailers. [/rquote]

there is also a big problem with some of the florescent tube replacement ones, what happens with some is that when one end is fitted, the pins on the other end are live if the light switch is in the on position,

Location, Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
www.tradegreetingcards.com Personalised Christmas cards for Electricians, plumbers, mechanics etc.
Transit 2.5Di Bannana.
Pug 106 zest
Landrover discovery 300 Tdi auto
www.wastevegetableoildevizes.com
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page
www.electric-works.co.uk devizes electrician
13-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Some of the cheap LED lights have substandard reactive voltage conversion (just a cap in series with a rectifier). If you switch them on off enough and catch peaks in the mains cycle or have a dirty switch contact, the higher frequency just wafts through the cap and blows anything downstream (potential fire hazard). I\'ve had a couple like this. And some that have been absolutely perfect as well. Luck of the draw what you get if it\'s eBay...

Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TD - B100 50k miles - engine ran away
Nissan Largo 2.0ETi - B100 and loving it
Biodiesel wiki & forum - Used cooking oil collection Southampton
14-11-2013, 10:24 AM
There was something about the spectrum of light the led use, too much in the blue or similar, that will damage the eyes and blind you creating a dark spot on the retina... Or something similar...
14-11-2013, 12:24 PM
[rquote=436974&tid=38745&author=Olivier]There was something about the spectrum of light the led use, too much in the blue or similar, that will damage the eyes and blind you creating a dark spot on the retina... Or something similar... [/rquote]

here you go.
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/led...blindness-
14-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Not being an electrician, does the CE RoHS stamp imply that the dangers mentioned in the above posts would not be present?

Thanks for any insight....

Traded in Greenfuels Fuelpod 3 for an Elux 250....much happier now!
14-11-2013, 04:05 PM
i worked as a lighting engineer for 23 years within the music business.

23 years looking at 3500w plus lights.

my eyesight is perfect..

cant hear a fekin thing though Dork

CoolHave a fiercely protected private round. Run a Musso on 100% wvo all year round.Cool
14-11-2013, 04:11 PM
what was that ? another ex sound engineer.