Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two strokes and methanol.
30-06-2012, 02:43 AM
you want to run what in what, no but serious i love gt750 kettles or the sweet sound of a 2 or 3 pot 2 stroke, i put a 350 ypvs into a cagiva mito 125 first in world on road and its ran on fully synth 2 stroke which way over top for it but when it comes to fuel its got to be petrol no other due to cost of repairs, timing, port timing, type of pipes, etc etc. however id be intrested in your findings if you do try running it meth but say a 100 mile trip at 70 or so not round block, the scenario is my son brays to lakes its 90mile has to fill tank up twice so you then have petrol in meth all the jetting has now changed etc.
can i buy it please if you pop pistons please as a project for son, mitos on sorn whilst the vtr1000 is being lightened

[Edited on 30-6-2012 by Laurie]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2012, 11:06 AM
years ago i used to make my model plane fuel and then put it in my new 1968 175 bantam.
went like a bat out of hell and pissed off a lot of burn up boys as it was stock looking,untill i left them at the lights.
i got the methanol from a chemist then and mixed it with good old caster oil.ohh the good old days.
Find all posts by this user
30-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I run a couple of mx bikes ,both two strokes so I had a search to read up about using methanol.

Not interested in using it in ours as our newish Ktm 250sx puts out around 50hp which is more than scary,anyway have a read through the threads in the link below as I came across what could be a possible problem which is namely it mixing with the two stroke oil.Panel beater above got away with it because he used castor oil.

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/show...php?t=7524
18-01-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 08:40 AM by jonesboy.)
RE: Two strokes and methanol.
(30-06-2012 05:10 PM)maddoug Wrote:  I run a couple of mx bikes ,both two strokes so I had a search to read up about using methanol.

Not interested in using it in ours as our newish Ktm 250sx puts out around 50hp which is more than scary,anyway have a read through the threads in the link below as I came across what could be a possible problem which is namely it mixing with the two stroke oil.Panel beater above got away with it because he used castor oil.

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/show...php?t=7524

Don't, know about methanol in 2 strokes but it is a strong solvent so could cause severe washing of oil off the bores ,bearings etc,I know for 4 strokes the compression needs to be about 12 /1 , carb main jet more than twice the size,bigger needle valve on the float and 2 fuel taps, this means twice the fuel consumption.Does keep the motor running cool though.Not worth the risk of engine damage in my opinion.
18-01-2015, 04:22 PM
if you think about it a model engine then ran at about 20000+ rpm nearly on full power all the time on caster oil mix.they were all alloy apart from crank ext and very rarely did one size up.used to strip and rebuild looking for faults never found any, but i used loads of my fuel mix in the bantom with out trouble but it was not ran all the time on it.
i used ether as well with caster oil,not in bike though but model diesel engines,
18-01-2015, 09:03 PM
I always found a drop of IPA mixed in gave a good boost, but melted a piston, but was pushing it with with too high mix.

DISCLAIMER: satisfy yourself it's safe, don't take my word for it!

Can members with oil collection websites please add me now.
http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk/

2000 Mercedes 814D Vario
1991 Transit Tipper
19-01-2015, 08:11 AM
i only put 1 hole through a piston and that was on a race tuned super rocket,tuned by myself to eddie dows spec at banburry oxen racing,yes i used to race it,my fault the timing lever was not pulled fully and it let go around 130mph,never seen so much smoke,i got home on the 1 pot stripped down and plugged and welded the hole with duralloy lathed to a taper screw then welded and balanced to other piston rebuilt and never had the same problem.the oil of choise was castrol r,rrrrrrrrrrr lovely smell.
i was earning £4.10s apprentice engineering and the racing powermax 12 to 1 pistons cost around £60 so could not afford to buy again.