Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Biodiesel production Health and Safety
24-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I\'ve not lost the other ball - it\'s still inside the tank! You\'re not far wrong about the balls being used for washing though Wink

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2010, 05:40 PM
[Edited on 19-4-2010 by lojiuk]

09-07-2017, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 07:36 PM by WesleyB.)
RE: Biodiesel production Health and Safety
In organic chemistry class Bramer explained metabolism of isopropyl alcohol and methanol. Metabolites are formaldehyde (embalming fluid). Formic acid a further metabolite of formaldehyde damages the optic nerves somehow. Probably should avoid consuming methanol vapors or drinking it. But , on biodiesel Australia, it was said drinking ethanol prior to consuming methanol causes the body to better tolerate the accidental consumption of methanol (fumes). I don't know what the reference was on that medical/health issue. Huh
09-07-2017, 07:27 PM
a very quick google found this

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1174890-treatment

it has been well known for a long time that drinking cider makes biodiesel production safer.

Location, Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
Scudo 2.0 JTD 2006
Pug 106 zest
Landrover discovery 300 Tdi auto
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/hifly
http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 07:37 PM
(09-07-2017 07:18 PM)WesleyB Wrote:  In organic chemistry class Bramer explained metabolism of isopropyl alcohol and methanol. Metabolites are formic acid (embalming fluid). Formic acid damages the optic nerves somehow. Probably should avoid consuming methanol vapors or drinking it. But , on biodiesel Australia, it was said drinking ethanol prior to consuming methanol causes the body to better tolerate the accidental consumption of methanol (fumes). I don't know what the reference was on that medical/health issue. Huh

Embalming fluid is normally a mix of formaldehyde (methanal), methanol and a few other chemicals not formic acid. Formic acid is produced by ants and used to "sting".

Methanol is metabolised to methanal (formaldehyde) and further to formic acid. Both methanol and methanal can lead to optic nerve damage. Formic acid is normally metabolised by the body and eliminated from the body.

Paul
11-07-2017, 06:10 PM
It was good to re read on this, I do feel I have become a little complacent in the latter years. I know it is never a good idea to process under the influence of alcohol, but people say on here that alcohol negates the effect of Methanol. I have always took this as tongue in cheek, but is there any truth in this?

Location Nr Leeds.
wastecookingoil.moonfruit.com

406 1.9d twin tanked
Ford Focus 1.8 Di Endura, twin tanked
pug 106 lucas - b100
Focus 1.8tddi - b100 x 3
Berlingo hdi - b100
206 hdi - b100
Skoda Fabia 1.9 PD
CBR600 b..loody petrol!
Preferred process - glyc. prewash, 2 stage reaction, usually demeth with pd
11-07-2017, 06:18 PM
(11-07-2017 06:10 PM)DB Wrote:  It was good to re read on this, I do feel I have become a little complacent in the latter years. I know it is never a good idea to process under the influence of alcohol, but people say on here that alcohol negates the effect of Methanol. I have always took this as tongue in cheek, but is there any truth in this?

perhaps reading the link i posted will answer your question

Location, Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
Scudo 2.0 JTD 2006
Pug 106 zest
Landrover discovery 300 Tdi auto
www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/hifly
http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2017, 06:42 PM
(11-07-2017 06:18 PM)hifly Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:10 PM)DB Wrote:  It was good to re read on this, I do feel I have become a little complacent in the latter years. I know it is never a good idea to process under the influence of alcohol, but people say on here that alcohol negates the effect of Methanol. I have always took this as tongue in cheek, but is there any truth in this?

Perhaps it may. I might have a look one day.

Location Nr Leeds.
wastecookingoil.moonfruit.com

406 1.9d twin tanked
Ford Focus 1.8 Di Endura, twin tanked
pug 106 lucas - b100
Focus 1.8tddi - b100 x 3
Berlingo hdi - b100
206 hdi - b100
Skoda Fabia 1.9 PD
CBR600 b..loody petrol!
Preferred process - glyc. prewash, 2 stage reaction, usually demeth with pd
12-07-2017, 10:14 AM
(11-07-2017 06:42 PM)DB Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 06:18 PM)hifly Wrote:  

Perhaps it may. I might have a look one day.

I always thought that we were talking about medically assessed levels here. Where the level of Methanol was known and the level of Ethanol was given based on weight ,metabolism, age, current substances in system. Not the " Give them a drink of Vodka" rubbish we saw in Doc Martin.
Handling, measuring and storing these chemicals was one reason I gave up bio production. I even had worries after my workshop was broken into. I thought the tikes might be ill. Told the Police so they could check hospitals, GPs etc. All that brought me was a visit from EH & EA. So much for caring for fellow man.