Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto deluge shower
13-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Auto deluge shower
Has anyone thought about auto deluge showers and similar things in the processor shed?
If you\'re reclaiming methanol then you\'ve probably got a barrel of water sitting about somewhere outside for the condenser. My thoughts are this:- why not elevate that barrel to above head height and tee off the pipe that goes to the top of your plumbers delight with a valve in and a good flow shower rose at the end. If you used a lever type valve then run a link (wire rope) to a plate of metal or wood on the floor. By making the wire rope the right length and hinging the plate you could open the valve just by standing on the plate. Thus if you ever get an explosion or even just a fleck of caustic in your eye you can stagger to the plate, stand on it and get a barrel full of water on your head. I thought best to elevate the barrel rather than rely on a pump as it\'s fail safe. 205l of water has got to be better than nothing or a standard eye wash type thing.

The L200 (4d56 2006) seems to be running nice on WVO/Dino blend Up to 90% runs well but a bit more reluctant to start. - L200 gone.<br />no veg mobile Sad<br />Africa Twin 650-not on veg.<br />Chinese midi tractor on and off the veg.<br />NOTE: Just because I'm an Admin please don't assume that means I know anything. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Auto deluge shower
Like you thinking
That is the type of emergency shower
installed in chemical plants.
For our purpose it would be better connected to the mains water.
Using gravity would not give enough flow.
I have been saved a few times by a bucket of water.
bob

1996 Pajero Exceed 2.8 auto [Image: smallphotobull.jpg]

Got a new pajero 2.8

Not all my 5pelling mistakes are unintentional [Image: buckingbullblack.jpg]

LOCATION Metheringham Lincolnshire.
13-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Auto deluge shower
If you\'ve got mains water near your processor then it\'s almost criminal not to have have it as it\'s so simple top set up. As for gravity fed If the pipes and holes in the shower rose are big enough then it would get you out of trouble. Really I\'m thinking it\'s just a vast improvement on trying to operate one of those eye wash bottles on your own with caustic in your eye (if you can find it). If people where honest I wonder how many on here making their own BD have some provisions for eye washing and putting out fires in and around their processor. I must admit the stuff frightens me a bit and I hope the fear is the thing that may make be that little bit extra caution on the day that I need to be.

The L200 (4d56 2006) seems to be running nice on WVO/Dino blend Up to 90% runs well but a bit more reluctant to start. - L200 gone.<br />no veg mobile Sad<br />Africa Twin 650-not on veg.<br />Chinese midi tractor on and off the veg.<br />NOTE: Just because I'm an Admin please don't assume that means I know anything. Smile
13-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Auto deluge shower
Was the bucket of water saving related to chemicals or linked to your younger more amorous days ?Heart

14-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Auto deluge shower
Better to wear goggles to prevent caustic in the eye in the first place, and gloves etc.

But after all these precautions, mains fed cold shower (or bucket over door!) sounds like a good solution.

Mark

Location - Leeds, West Yorkshire

1998 Saxo/Pug 106 1.5D B100 Lucas/Bosch pumps -B100 - Sold
2001 Peugeot 206 1.9D (Bosch) - B100/SVO
2005 Volvo XC90 D5 on B100
1961 Landrover series 2 - 300TDI B100 and SVO/WVO - Sold
1997 Landrover Defender 90 - 300TDI biodiesel and SVO.

2 stage KOH Tit'less reaction/5% pre-wash/demeth/settle
14-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Auto deluge shower
Quote:Originally posted by Perfo
Was the bucket of water saving related to chemicals or linked to your younger more amorous days ?Heart

What you mean still knead it for thatHeartLove
bob

1996 Pajero Exceed 2.8 auto [Image: smallphotobull.jpg]

Got a new pajero 2.8

Not all my 5pelling mistakes are unintentional [Image: buckingbullblack.jpg]

LOCATION Metheringham Lincolnshire.
14-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Auto deluge shower
if you have a barrel of water at a high level and put a 2\" pipe in it you will get a lot more water through it in a short time than you will with mains pressure shower, in chemical works where they have these douches they have 4\" mains not 15mm that you have in your house, I have put quite a few eye washes in chemical works they are like a drinking fountain but with two spouts
15-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Auto deluge shower
yep. Belt and braces. I agree you should wear goggles and take every precaution but I\'ve seen a chap get a metal fragment in his eye whilst grinding and wearing the proper full goggles. The expected route was the metal to bounce of his face through the air vent on the goggles then off the glass on the inside and in to his eye. This was done at work and no one believed the chap had goggles on. To his defence I actually saw it happen as did about 3 others. That\'s why a final defence like a shower just gives me a little more confidence that if my control measures fail there is a back up...